How to apply (This page is being dismissed)
Students Graduated Abroad
- 3 year Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in humanities or social sciences preferentially in the following areas Classics, Ancient History, Archaeology or Cultural Heritage. The eligibility can be fully assessed through evaluation of academic qualifications and admission interview.
Students Graduated in Italy
- 3 year Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in humanities or social sciences, in one or more of the following areas: archaeology, classics, history, ancient languages, geography, history of art. Students graduated in an Italian University must hold a Bachelors’ Degree in one of the classes listed at this page.
- Students holding a Bachelors’ Degree in classes L-1, L-5, L-10 (DM 270/04) or classes 5, 13, 29 (DM 509/99) awarded by the Department of Humanities of the University of Pavia with a final grade of at least 90/110 and meet the language knowledge requirements can enroll in the Master Programme The Ancient Mediterranean World without taking the admission interview (link).
- The number of positions dedicated to international non-EU students is defined on a yearly basis.
Knowledge of the English language (for students graduated in Italy and Abroad)
- B2 level English proficiency. Students must either own an English language proficiency or have taken at least 12 credits of English language courses in their home University. List of accepted certifications
The call for application is now closed. We are planning the call for application for the academic year 2021-2022. Relevant information will be published in this page.
Intake for EU and Non-EU candidates graduated abroad
- Start: to be defined
- End: to be defined
Late intake for candidates graduated abroad
- Start: to be defined
- End: to be defined
- Non-EU candidates
- Start: to be defined
- End: to be defined
Intake for candidates graduated in Italy
Students graduated in Italy will be able to register for the admission interview or enroll in the MA between July 1st and October 15.
- For a step-by-step description of the admission procedure please see below
- For all administrative procedures (application for admission test, enrollment…) please see
The application procedure
Students graduated in Italy: students graduated in an Italian University must hold a Bachelors’ Degree in one of the classes listed at this page. Students holding a Bachelors’ Degree in classes L-1, L-5, L-10 (DM 270/04) or classes 5, 13, 29 (DM 509/99) awarded by the Department of Humanities of the University of Pavia with a final grade of at least 90/110 and meet the language knowledge requirements can enroll in the Master Programme The Ancient Mediterranean World without taking the admission interview (link). Italian students who do not hold an English language knowledge certification or did not ear at least 12 CFUs in courses of English language earned during the Bachelors’ Degree Programme must take the admission interview. The application requires the payment of an admission test fee (35 €). Additional information on entry requirements and assessment of the academic curriculum can be found in documents “Modalità di accesso alle Lauree magistrali: Requisiti curricolari” and “Modalità di accesso alle Lauree magistrali: Verifica della preparazione personale” at this page. To register for the admission interview or enroll, students graduated in Italy must follow the procedure described at this page.
Students graduated abroad: students graduated abroad must request the evaluation of their academic curriculum. Students whose curriculum is judged suitable for the access to the Master Programme will have to take and pass an admission interview. Students must apply through this page (link). The application requires the payment of an admission test fee (35 €). The payment can be carried out via bank transfer or online banking. Further details can be found below in the step-by-step procedure.
Evaluation of the academic curriculum and eligibility for the Master Programme: student eligibility for the Master Programme will be assessed through evaluation of their academic curriculum. Students graduated abroad who applied for the evaluation of their academic curriculum will receive an email containing the results of the evaluation. Eligible foreign students will be invited to take the interview.
Interview: both students graduated in Italy and abroad must take an interview that will take place on September 9 (at 10:00 am Italian Time) and on November 17 (at 10:00 am, Italian Time). A session of interviews dedicated to students graduated abroad will take place on July 28 (at 1:00 pm, Italian Time). The interview is indicative, the result of the interview will not be used as parameter to select students to be admitted to the Master Programme. Italian students must register for the admission interview following the procedures following the procedure described at this page, section 3a. Deadlines for Italian students to apply for the admission interview: interview on September 9, apply by September 6; interview on November 17, apply on November 14.
International students can request to take the interview via Skype or in a date different from the one scheduled in the admission announcement.
For further information, please contact us (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Pre-enrollment, VISA and English language certificates: Embassies in some countries might require English language knowledge certificates to accept pre-enrollment and VISA applications. Minimum required grades for the academic year 2019-2020 were: IELTS – 6, TOEFL – 78, TOLIMO – 600, FCE – 169.
Step-by-step procedure for international students
To apply, please follow these steps:
- Go to this page and click the button “Apply now!” on the right. Please attach the required documents that will be listed in a checklist at the end of the application procedure, these include: a scan of a passport or ID card, a scan of transcript in English or Italian with exams taken, marks and credits, a scan of an English language proficiency certificate, receipt of payment of the application fee (35€). One reference letter is required. A maximum of two reference letters can be provided. Candidates must fill a specific section of the application with general informations of their referees. Referees will receive an email with the instructions to follow to provide a reference letter.
- Students have to pay a fee for participation to the admission test (35 €). The fee for participation to admission test can be paid online via home banking or credit card. . Students will receive an email (object: University of Pavia-Payment instructions for The Ancient Mediterranean World (History Archaeology and Art)) containing the link to the invoice and further instructions on how to pay. Within a couple of hours from the successful payment, students will be able to complete your application by submitting it. It will not be possible to submit the application until the payment has been cleared by the system. The invoice is pre-filled (click to see an example of invoice).
- An appointed Commission will evaluate you academic curriculum. If your academic curriculum is suitable, you will receive an email and you will be invited to take the interview.
- Foreign students who want to sit the interview via Skype must contact the e-mail address email@example.com to schedule the appointment.
Students whose academic curriculum is deemed adequate must sit an admission interview. The interview is indicative, the result of the interview will not be used as parameter to select students to be admitted to the Master Programme.
Interviews will take place on
- June 5 (Skype only; because of the uncertainties due to the current situation related to the virus outbreak in the world, interviews in this session will take place only via Skype). International students who want to take this interview must contact the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we collected the names of all candidates interested in taking the Skype interview on this session, we will provide candidates with the exact schedule.
- July 28 at 1:00pm (Italian Time) (only for students graduated abroad). International students who want to take this interview must contact the email address email@example.com. Once we collected the names of all candidates interested in taking the Skype interview on this session, we will provide candidates with the exact schedule.
- September 9 at 10:00am (Italian Time) (for students graduated in Italy or abroad) (interviews will take place via Skype and, possibly, in person in Pavia; details will be provided later).
- November 17 at 10:00am (for students graduated in Italy or abroad) (interviews will take place via Skype and, possibly, in person in Pavia; details will be provided later).
Italian students must register for the admission interview following the procedures described in the admission announcement (link).
If necessary, international students can request to take the interview via Skype or in a date different from the one scheduled in the admission announcement. To request to sit the interview via Skype or in a different date, students must contact the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org .
How to enroll
Admitted students will be able to enroll between July 1st and October 15. To enroll, login in your reserved area, then click Menu (right corner) -> Segreteria -> Immatricolazione (if you set the English language, this is these are the names of the buttons you have to clickMenu (right corner) -> Admissions -> Enrollment)
Students graduated in Italy
Direct enrollment: for further information please visit this page, section 4.
Conditional enrollment: Students who passed the admission test and will graduate after October 15, 2020, can enroll under “conditional enrollment”. These students have to obtain their degree by March 31, 2021. See this page, section 5.
Documents that students graduated abroad must prepare to enroll are described in the admission announcement (link).
Late enrollments after October 15 will also be accepted until December 11, 2020, upon the payment of an additional fee (82€).
Students graduated abroad (EU)
Students must follow the procedure described at this page (English language).
Students graduated abroad (non-EU)
For further information please visit this page, steps 5 and 6.
Eligible international students must enroll following this procedure:
- Go to this page and login into the Reserved Area.
- Open the menu on the upper right side and select “SEGRETERIA”>”IMMATRICOLAZIONE” (ADMISSIONS > ENROLLMENT).
- Select the Master Programme THE ANCIENT MEDITERRANEAN WORLD. HISTORY, ARCHAEOLOGY AND ART from the list of courses.
- Fill the form.
- You will be required to upload:
- A passport photo in jpg format. .jpg format is mandatory.
- A front/back photocopy of the Identity Document used during the registration process.
- Photocopy of the Tax Code card.
- Photocopy of the permit of stay or its receipt or a copy of your VISA (only for non-EU Students). At the moment, students can enroll without having permit of stay or VISA.
- After that the on-line enrollment has been completed correctly, the system will generate a receipt of enrollment. Students can pay the first installment of 156 euros through the PagoPA system on-line or off-line. Please visit this page, steps 5 , to find the link to a tutorial.
- Once in Pavia, to complete the enrollment you must bring the following documents to the Students Secretariat (Via Sant’Agostino 1):
- Payment receipt for the 1st installment of the tuition fee.
- The original diploma ( or a certified copy or a replacement certificate) that allows enrolment in the Master’s Degree (at least a 3-year Bachelor degree), a translation of the original diploma in Italian language produced by a sworn translator or by the Embassy and legalized by the Italian Authority in the country where the qualification was obtained or apostilled.
- One of the following documents
- a) Declaration of Value (DoV – dichiarazione di valore in loco), issued by the Italian authorities in the country where the qualification was awarded (usually Italian Embassy or Consulate);
- b) statement of comparability issued by “CIMEA” (http://www.cimea.it/en/services/statements-of-comparability/attestati-di-comparabilita-e-di-verifica-dei-titoli-diplome.aspx);
- c) “Diploma Supplement” (http://www.cimea.it/en/servizi/il-sistema-italiano-di-istruzione-superiore/diploma-supplement.aspx) issued by your University.
The required documents can be anticipated via email following the instructions of an email that students will receive after
In case the Italian embassy/consulate or CIMEA delays issuing the relevant documents, students must complete the documentation by 30th September 2021. Students who will not be able to complete the documentation by 30th September 2021 will remain in the first year for the academic year 2021/2022.
Pre-enrollment and student VISA application
Students admitted to the Master’s Programme will need to contact an Italian diplomatic authority in their home country to assemble all the documents needed to enroll and submit a pre-enrollment application with the University of Pavia. The Italian Diplomatic authority has a deadline to send pre-enrollment applications, which is usually at the end of July.
All procedures for pre-enrollment and VISA application have to be concluded by the 30th of November 2020. Please keep in touch with the Italian Authority in your country and check this website https://www.studiare-in-italia.it/studentistranieri/ .
For additional information please see this page, step 2.
⊗ Students from extra-European countries must request a student VISA to the Italian authority in their country. Students should contact the Italian Embassy in their country as early as possible and ask information about student VISA application procedures. All procedures for pre-enrollment and VISA application have to be concluded by the 30th of November 2020.
Important notice for extra-European students: VISA application and university application are two completely independent procedures. VISA application is a procedure carried out by the Italian Authorities abroad. The University of Pavia has nothing to do with VISA application. Students from extra-European countries are encouraged to apply for pre-evaluation and admission test as soon as possible even if they did not obtain a VISA from the Italian embassy.
For EU students, fees are based on family income. They range from € 160 to € 3,500 per year. For non–EU students a flat rate is determined according to their country of origin and ranges from € 400 to € 3,500. The tuition fee announcement for the academic year 2019-2020 can be downloaded from this page.
More information at this page.