VISA and Permit of Stay


Obtaining a VISA

Please visit this page to read a summary of the procedure.

Fill the form at this page to find the list of documents required to obtain a VISA to study in Italy.

Detailed procedures for VISA, entry, enrollment in higher education courses and stay of international students in Italy can be found here (English language).

Additional information are available in a this dedicated page of the University of Pavia, Step 2

Embassies in specific countries might require English language knowledge certificates to accept pre-enrollment and VISA applications. Minimum required grades for the academic year 2019-2020 were: IELTS – 6, TOEFL – 78, TOLIMO – 600, FCE – 169.



Download the checklist

Permit of Stay

In order to study in Italy, International students from non-EU countries need to obtain a Permit of Stay. The application for Permit of Stay must be sent within 8 days from the arrival in Italy. Permits of stay must be renewed after one year. Students must apply for a new Permit of Stay or for a renewal following the instructions reported at page:

University of Pavia link

Welcome Point; Enrolment and Permit of Stay link

Help desk inside the Police station (Questura) dedicated to international students (link). Address Via Rismondo 68, inside the Police station (Questura) Opening hours: Tue 9:00-13:00; Thu 10:00-13:00

The activity of the Help Desk for International Students in the Questura has been interrupted. Students can email and attach their passport with study visa or (in case of renewal) their permit of stay.

Due to the current emergency state, permit of stay expiring in January 2020 and April 2020 will be extended until the 31st august 2020.

Alternatively, students can ask for support to Association Amici della Mongolfiera, Corso Garibaldi 20/N, Opening hours: Mon, Wed, Thu 10:00 – 13:00; Tue, Fri 17:00 – 20:00


Italian Tax identification number (Codice Fiscale)

The Italian Tax identification number is mandatory to obtain the Permit of Stay.

Information concerning the procedure to obtain a Tax identification number can be found here (link).


Italian Health System and Emergency care insurance

An Emergency care insurance is required to live in Italy. Students can use their own emergency care insurance, if it is valid in Italy, or buy one from the Italian Health System.

Information concerning the procedure to obtain an Emergency care insurance can be found here (link) and at pages 6-7 of the International Students’ Handbook.